Ingredients (serves 2-3)
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, chopped thin
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons rice, basmati or other
- 1 can (800 grams) whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (leaves only), cut into strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A little freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sugar to taste
Heat oil in the soup pan, add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin and rice and stir fry until the rice turns opaque white.
Add tomatoes and stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Cook about 20 minutes, partially covered, on a medium heat.
Add the Swiss chard towards the end of the cooking cycle.
Season with salt and pepper, lemon juice and sugar, and serve hot. If the rice has absorbed too much liquid, dilute the soup with more stock or water, as needed.